Saturday, September 15, 2007

Why I Like Fall




It's coming, it's coming, it's almost here. . . I can feel it in the air!


1. Sleeping in the fresh night air, with windows open after weeks of air conditioning.

2. Pumpkins, butternut squash, acorn squash, and gourds.

3. High school football.

4. Watching the tree near our old house, which changes colors from the tips of the branches to the center, making it look like fireworks in the sky, with balls of fire at the tips.

5. Planting mums in front of the church sign.

6. Needing a jacket on the way to school in the mornings, and shedding it before the morning is over.

7. Fall yard decorations: bales of straw; mums; pumpkins, winter squash, gourds; and scarecrows.

8. Walking in the yard, with leaves crunching under my feet.

9. Raking up a big pile of leaves, for the sole purpose of playing with Whistle and Teenager in them.

10. The first day you realize it's time to make soup or stew.

11. Pumpkin pie.

12. The Pumpkin Festival

1 comment:

strem said...

I agree whole-heartedly with 1 - 11. I'm just wondering about number 12. Now, Morton IL has a Pumpkin Festival, but I think I am going to need to check out this one which you're describing. Sounds fun to me!!!