Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Tour - Gingerbread Man

Run, run, as fast as you can.




You can't catch me, I'm the gingerbread man.



One year I realized I had several gingerbread men on the Christmas tree, including some made by my mother for our kids, so I made a door swag out of them, and hung it up the next year in the kitchen. The original ornaments now are mostly at the kids' houses, and have been replaced, but this is the current manifestation of that swag.








One things leads to another: antique and new posters and gingerbread man tree.






And cookie cutters, of course! Note the cutter on the counter at the left. It was lovingly made by some man for his wife. The thick wooden backing is penciled off in a 1/2" square grid to get the shape correct, and the metal edging that forms the cookie cutter is a Folger's coffee can, shaped around the wood. I love old, hand-made things, and can just imagine the meticulous crafstman who made it, in an earlier time.

No comments: