Thursday, August 16, 2007

Welcome to Kindergarten!

On Monday evening, Whistle had Back to School Night. For 5 year-olds, it would be "To School Night," wouldn't it? He took his bag of school supplies, and went right in. We found his room and met his teacher, Mrs. ExperiencedTeacher. She provided a name tag, and a list of things for him to do around the room. They included finding his mailbox (with a surprise inside), finding the red basket for important notes, putting supplies away, and locating the drinking fountain and bathroom ("Practice washing your hands. Be sure to use one push of soap and put the paper towel in the trash can"). The final thing was to have his picture taken by Mrs. ExperiencedTeacher. It was all wonderful, until he realized he didn't get to "stay and stay." He was so disappointed! After waiting all day to go to school, he had to go back home!

One more day at home, and Wednesday finally arrived. He was ready early, and it was hard to wait until time to go. Finally, off to school!


Hickety Pickety Bumble Bee
Won't you say your name for me?



Whistle came home from his first day of school with a paper bee-on-a-stick he had colored, saying this rhyme. He said the rhyme, then placed the bee on my head, and said, "My name is . . . ", and I said, "Mom!" He smiled and then said again, "Hickety Pickety, Bumble Bee, Won't you say your name for me?" placing it on his own head, and said "My name is . . . Whistle." (Of course, he didn't really say Whistle - but his real name.) When I picked him up, the teacher said, "It was an interesting day." Interesting? INTERESTING? Not WONDERFUL!!?? Oh, no! She told me a few details, which I will spare you, but suffice it to say that later in the evening we had a discussion on Listening, Talking Nicely, and Resting Quietly. :-) This morning, he got up excited, ready to go, but much calmer than yesterday. When I reminded him about what to do during rest time, he dove onto the floor on his belly, didn't wiggle, and didn't say a word! Yea!!! This morning when I checked in with his special ed teacher (let's call her Miss Baker), she said she thought he was just overstimulated yesterday - keyed up about starting school. We'll see how today goes!!

(Does anyone else think this looks like a ladybug, instead of a bee? However, I don't think you'd want to tell new Kindergartners "Lady bug, Lady bug, fly away home."!)

1 comment:

strem said...

Such a cute name game which surely helped the students get to know each other. I'm pretty sure I had to have those same discussions early on after going to school... except mine were probably "Listening, STOP Talking, and Rest Quietly."